Friday, February 9, 2007

Arjun's Wallet

I'm not blaming Arjun for his frequent forgetting skills ......for which Sujit Sir and I've been pestering him always, but how a small silly forgetting thing can almost screw you up for the day.
One fine morning in doon......during the school vacations....when we woke up from previous night's tandoori chicken and beer at rajpur road...woke up to hot tea and newspaper...it was supposed to be the start of a jhakkaas day...only till when Arjun realised that his wallet is missing....
I felt the chill(whats the day is going to possibly look like).....especially when he gives that blank slate kindova look that he has...recomposed myself and asked him to chill....relaxxxx....kuch nahi....etc....we ransacked the whole room topsy-turvy.....found many things(some of them very valuable) under the bed and elsewhere in bargain......
No wallet...........
Next was my car....which got some dusting (not that i don't do it otherwise) and spanking of footmats on the electricity pole......everything came out .....old Rafi cassettte(i was searching for it)....chicken bones...beer caps....pen caps....and that 'chalan' handed over by traffic havildar which i'd forgotten....
No wallet.....
Arjun had started giving me those looks.....(its because of you kind).....
I maintained composure......and thought of Hitchcock, Karamchand n Feluda instantly...
"Lets reconstruct the whole story" I said....
"We were standing at the open stall......having ordered 1 'full tandoori'?
'right' said Arjun.
"You were getting it packed and I came and sat in the car?"
hmmmm..
"Then you came with the packed tandoori in one hand...and wallet in the other?"
"No it was cell phone in the other hand"...Arjun pitched
fine...fine....so the wallet was in your pocket?
" i don't remember" said Arjun...
"Yes....it was...." I barked
"And then you were counting the balance he returned and were saying that he's charged more than others?"
I reminded him........and he nodded in agreement...
He nodded but wasn't very sure...
"lets go to him and find out' I ordered....
We were there in 20 minutes( from GMS road to Rajpur Road is quite a distance).
Straightaway we charged towards trhe stall and met this big heavy man with a ruthless kind of a look who simply denied having found or having heard about any wallet or anything.
"We want to talk to the person who was here last night" I demanded.
That big man had a big mouth that resembled the exhaust of an old truck out of which he blasted some irritating and stupid arguments which basically meant that there's no use talking to his brother also when he himself has told the truth....this was followed by a stare that perhaps meant .....'don't mess with me".
But before disappearing I managed to extract his brother's mobile no. who plainly denied haveen found , seen or heard about any wallet.
We were returning....(wot else?)....Arjun started looking like Guru Dutt in Kagaz ke Phool....
I came out with motivating stories.....
stories of how I lost my watches, suitcases and sunglasses in journies...and that loosing wallet is a part of one's life....
Arjun was not motivated...and instead gave me another look that read....... 50 % you'll pay boss!!!!!"
I shivered again and calculated......My share had to be Rs 2000/-( That included the cost of the old purse....and unused BSNL recharge coupons....that he claimed and I trusted he had).
We ransacked the house once again ....
.and I found my lost photograph this time..
No wallet.....
After that once again.....
We were getting tense now.....
Suddenly an idea flashed....
I frisked arjun....
No wallet....
"The wallet has to be with the tandooriwalla' I concluded.
"Lets call police" said Arjun..
"No we'll use pressure tactics" I said.
" I'll give a call now, then you after half hour than other people and so on..." i smirked.
I called him up and told him to return the wallet at any cost.
(but he became angry that he doesn't have and demanded why we were calling him repeatedly)
" Don't worry!!!!!this will work" I winked .
Because I had to meet my sister that morning so I told Arjun that i'd to leave and that he could stayback in the house or I could drop him anywhere on my way...........he chose the second option.....
I also suggested that he take my sister's cell no( my cell was dead since last night)....just in case....
I fumbled my back pocket for a paper chit and took out the purse.....
And then both of us screamed...................WAALLLETTTT......!!!!!!!!!!'
"O MY GOD.......I YELLED...HOW DID THIS HAPPEN....???????
Arjun gave me that look.........

13 comments:

Sandeep said...

hi..that was a hellova exp...

Anonymous said...

I was carried away by the lively waves of your narrative and when I reached the shore, I blinked in astonishment at your felicity. Your keen sense of observation is your 'priceless possession'. So, what next?

Do see http://inkinashes.blogspot.com

Sandeep said...

Thank u Sudip Sir....
I knew that the piece was good...but your comment says that it was written welll...thank you for letting me know...that helps....actlly i was conc mainly on the storyline....u ask me next? well...shortly...thank u once more,,,,,,,
sandeep

Anonymous said...

So Mr. Sandeep you want us to believe in whatever you says. I would like to know was it a real story or a imaginative one? Anyway fantastic imagination and you proved that if you leave selaqui you can atleast become a writer. Hahahahahahahahahaha

Sandeep said...

It is real life account....Arjun I told you u must testify....
Thanx for comments....

Anonymous said...

your page looks very exciting.

Anonymous said...

My apologies for being a late visitor to your space in the cyber/digital world...but I must say that though because of our 'sessions'(Pun Intended! especially because of how wrongly we have been construed by some)....I knew that you are fabulous conversationist...I never knew that you write so well ... Congratulations....
Well begun is half done...
My heartiest wishes for your new venture...
Yours as ever
Saagar

Anonymous said...

well..it was a hellova story!!but yes sun..definitely looking for more...so put ur pen to practise and give us some more of those...and puhleez!!snap out of ur golden era romantic bollywood....dated!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

who's this arjun?
looks he's dumber than the dumbest.
kya yeh wohi chicken joint hai rajpur road pe madhuban ke paas?

lovely

learning to fly said...

better late than never..n as sandeep said "arjun forgets frequently ;)" i did forget all these months to take a look at this story "which actually happened" on the morning of 1st Jan 2007.. n someone has roghtly said above that i am the dumber than the dumbest :)...
wud love to go on another similar adventure..just hope that this time its sandeeps wallet ;)

learning to fly said...

above..
..i mean..."rightly said"..

Sandeep said...

ya i agree arjun rightly said.....

i only woder who these anonymous fans of mine are....

by the way , now i write at doonmadari@sulekha.com...

this ime the bakra is sabeen...

Sandeep said...

correction.....
my blogsite is .....

http://doonmadari.sulekha.com